Component Based Design

Fri 9. Sep 2016, 16:48

Component based design is becoming more and more common in game dev (engines like unreal and unity, for example). Unfortunately, my only problem with articy (and the reason I can't use it for our project), is that it only uses traditional OOP design for creating entities. Each entity has to inherit properties (and features in this case) from a template. With component based design, we can cut out that template middle man and just drag and drop any combination and number of properties/features for each individual entity. As it stands, it's redundant to have to create a new template for each entity I create.

I tried just using templates themselves as entities, but you can't set property variables in the template editor. I tried using the strip property and dragging and dropping components into the entity's strip of components, but I can't set any component properties for that specific entity, it's only a reference to the component in it's exact form from where I dragged it from. I can't edit the component's variables for that entity only without just making a new component with those different variables.

If this sounds confusing, imagine instead of every monster in your game having health, attack, speed, and energy, each monster has any combination of these. Some of only health and attack, others only speed and energy, maybe some have an extra stat "mana" or something. The point is it's modular. This becomes extremely useful when design larger games where enemies can have any combination of hundreds of traits, abilities, weapons, etc.

If there's already a way to do this in articy draft, please let me know. This program is EXACTLY what I've needed/been looking for except for this one crucial roadblock.
Thanks.
Chris_Devl

Re: Component Based Design

Tue 20. Sep 2016, 09:46

Thanks for your suggestion Chris_Devl and your assessment of the relevance of component based design.

If I understand you correctly you want to be able to stack "values" together in a system without the need to always recreate the same "values"?
Actually, this is possible with our build-in template system.
First you define multiple features with the basic properties of your entity. Then you can additionally define features with special properties. And then you can create templates using the predefined features. These templates can then be used in your entities like characters, monster and so on. So there is no redundancy - as you mentioned.

That is our interpretation of what you call component based design. Once again, I hope I understood you correctly and that might help you a little bit?
Peter Thielmann

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions