Flow object references (or prefabs) and pin labels

Wed 1. Mar 2017, 01:21

Hi there! Loving articy:draft so far, but there are a couple of features I'd love to see that would make my workflow even better:

1) I'd like the ability to make references to existing flow fragments rather than copying and pasting them or jumping to them. An example use case for this would be making the equivalent of a switch statement.

For example, a switch on player class in an RPG might have 6 or 8 different possible outputs. To implement this, I could create a flow fragment with one input and 6 or 8 outputs. Inside this flow fragment I could have one hub per output, with conditions set on the input pin for each, so that only one output will be chosen - this would let me branch a story in different directions based on the player's class. But this is a lot of work to manually set up, and if I copy and paste them, and have multiple occurrences of this kind of switch statement, and then later add or remove a class from the game, I'd have to manually edit each one. So it would be great to be able to create just one of these and be able to make instances of it that reference the original rather than copying it, so I only have to edit it in one place if I need a change. (A full prefab and instancing system would be even better.)

2) Along with request #1, to make that sort of switch statement type of fragment, I have to make multiple output pins, but without going down inside the fragment to see the hubs that control it internally, it'd be difficult to tell which pin corresponds to which class. If output pins could have conditions instead of just instructions, the mouse-over tooltip would be sufficient for this, but since the conditions have to be input pins (meaning I have to use nested flow objects to split one input pin into many), the output pins don't show anything on mouseover. So the ability to label pins that have no script attached would be great. This can be done with comments in the script box, but that's a little bit hacky.
ShadauxCat

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions