Global variables types

Sat 9. Nov 2013, 01:04

Currently, global variables can only be Integer or Boolean.
Will we have more types in a next version, like string and float?
fmairesse

Re: Global variables types

Sun 17. Nov 2013, 20:11

A Compare Int node would be helpful in the flow conditions.
And an Int Counter (increments by 1 each time it is passed through in the flow).

Can users create their own nodes - like, for example, people can in UDK with Kismet nodes?
tomofnz

Mon 2. Dec 2013, 13:37

Hello!

fmairesse wrote:Currently, global variables can only be Integer or Boolean.

Yes, we're going to add more data types. Which of the following do you find most important: String, Float, Reference, Enum?
It's not going to be added in 2.3 though, maybe 2.4.!

tomofnz wrote:A Compare Int node would be helpful in the flow conditions.
And an Int Counter (increments by 1 each time it is passed through in the flow).

Can users create their own nodes - like, for example, people can in UDK with Kismet nodes?

In how far do you see a compare int node different from a condition node with an "Variable = Number" condition? Do you have a node in mind where you can have multiple output pins for different integer values, and the pin with the right value is triggered? (Like a switch-case)

A counter node can be realized with an instruction and an increment statement like this:

Code: Select all
Number += 1

And if you want to have a loop that exits when the counter gets to a certain value, that'd be an instruction+condition pair. A dedicated counter node makes sense though, and I'll add it to our backlog. I'm just saying it can be reproduced with the current feature set.

Thanks a lot for your contributions!
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Thu 5. Dec 2013, 11:26

Thanks, nice reply. Can you get your team to make a little video showing a case of that?

I'm used to UDK kismet where an Int Counter and Compare Int can be used to create a spectra of different results as the value goes up or down.
I dimly understood what you were saying, but I'll have to read it a few times and try it out to see if it's along the same lines.
Tom
tomofnz

Thu 2. Jan 2014, 13:04

tomofnz wrote:I'm used to UDK kismet where an Int Counter and Compare Int can be used to create a spectra of different results as the value goes up or down.

OK, thanks. That sounds like the switch-case-option I mentioned briefly in my reply. A node with different output pins for different values of the number variable. So when the variable's value is 1, it'd fire a different pin than at values 2 or 3. Is that what you had in mind?

tomofnz wrote:I dimly understood what you were saying, but I'll have to read it a few times and try it out to see if it's along the same lines.

Sorry ;). I guess that sounded a bit too technical. I'm not sure if the video option will work out, but I'd be happy to assist you further. Maybe we'll put some flow topology examples up in the help center, and your counter case should definitely be one of them.

Cheers,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Wed 26. Apr 2017, 18:59

[Nevigo] Kai Rosenkranz wrote:Hello!

fmairesse wrote:Currently, global variables can only be Integer or Boolean.

Yes, we're going to add more data types. Which of the following do you find most important: String, Float, Reference, Enum?
It's not going to be added in 2.3 though, maybe 2.4.!

tomofnz wrote:A Compare Int node would be helpful in the flow conditions.

In how far do you see a compare int node different from a condition node with an "Variable = Number" condition? Do you have a node in mind where you can have multiple output pins for different integer values, and the pin with the right value is triggered? (Like a switch-case)

A counter node can be realized with an instruction and an increment statement like this:

Code: Select all
Number += 1

And if you want to have a loop that exits when the counter gets to a certain value, that'd be an instruction+condition pair. A dedicated counter node makes sense though, and I'll add it to our backlog. I'm just saying it can be reproduced with the current feature set.

Thanks a lot for your contributions!
-Kai

Hi!

Where did the extra variable types go? Thought at least float and string would be standard?
MeowBot

Thu 27. Apr 2017, 09:05

Hi MeowBot,

in 3.0.1 we added support for strings.

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
Senior Software Engineer | Articy | LinkedIn
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff