Articy: Draft XML left and right quotes

Fri 13. Dec 2013, 09:39

When exporting Articy: Draft as XML my string quotes come out as left and right variations such as u2018, u2019, u201c, u201d. This is creating chaos in my HTML5 game's toolset, as it isn't able to read these characters properly. For now I've made my XML conversion tool force convert these, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. I would consider this to be a bug, but maybe others aren't having the same issue.
ashblue

Re: Articy: Draft XML left and right quotes

Wed 15. Jan 2014, 01:47

Hi ashblue,

this behavior is as intended and is not a bug. articy:draft uses UTF-8 encoding and CDATA sections to preserve all chars and spacing used within the text fields.

So you most likely have such chars already in the text field before you export. With default settings Word changes the normal straight quotes into their typographical variants called smart quotes. If you use copy and paste you will get those chars into articy:draft.

Take a look here for a good article covering your problem independently of articy:draft.

For your HTML 5 toolset you also may check if
  • UTF-8 is completely supported
  • Your page using the chars declares the page as UTF-8
  • The webserver serves the page with UTF-8 encoding (so an auto-sensing of the browsers is not required)
  • You use a font that has unicode characters present, so the quotes can be displayed.

Or you may simply make an search and replace to get rid of those "smart quotes".

I hope that helps.

- Peter
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to Technical Discussion