use over Remote Desktop

Tue 17. Mar 2015, 19:23

Hi folks,

I'm in the middle of my evaluation of Articy:Draft, and have to say I am quite impressed. Very impressed in fact.

However, I ran into a problem that I'm not sure if it is a bug or a "feature". ;-) Unfortunately, it has kind of stopped me in my tracks.

In short, drag and drop of new shapes in the flow editor does not work reliably over Remote Desktop. Verified on several versions of Windows. When I say reliably, I mean I have tried perhaps 30 times, and it has worked once, which is really, really weird. ;-) The time it did work, I was changing focus at the same time I started the drag operation.

Some background as to why I want to do this...

Articy: Draft is running on my laptop. I take my laptop everywhere. When it is with me here at my desk at the office (where I have 4 displays hooked to my full-tower workstation), I usually have one of them filled with a Remote Desktop connection to my laptop. In other words, I use the keyboard, mouse and monitors connected to the workstation, and essentially the laptop sits off to the side, seemingly unused, but I am quite often plucking away at it, jumping back and forth between it and other machines all connected to my primary with 4 montiors. I do not think this is an uncommon scenario, especially for somebody managing live game servers while working on design of one game and the programming of another all within the same day. ;-)

Since both machines (laptop and workstation) sit off the same 8 port gigabit switch, performance is a non-issue. Remote Desktop is cranked to max settings. All application have worked fine...until now.

Is this a bug, or is this a "feature" to prevent people from sharing the software over RD? That is certainly not my intent here, I just happen to use my laptop as much over Remote Desktop than otherwise, even when it is setting right here next to me. In theory I could install it on both machines, but since we don't need Team (yet), that would mean copying files back and forth, as well as needing two seats for the same person. Even if the second seat was "free", there would still the issue of did I remember to copy the files to/from laptop/workstation with I arrive/leave work.

I've done that, and Remote Desktop is frankly a better solution.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan
RhinoNY

Re: use over Remote Desktop

Tue 17. Mar 2015, 19:42

Just sent email to support, sorry I didn't see that was preferred until after I posted this. ;-)
RhinoNY

Return to Technical Discussion