New to Articy & need help.

Mon 13. Feb 2017, 08:28

Hi all.

I'm very new to Articy, and need some help with a few things.

1) is there a way to import data from an Excel file that has not been created with articy? I have tried, and while the file is read, Articy seems to be looking for an id number, and i have no idea of what the rules are for that. I have tried just creating a numbered list, but it still will not import the data. I have been working on a few tables and lists before discovering articy, and if i'm able to simply import the data from excel, it would save me from having to re-input and re-create some of the data by hand, especially the list that contains all of my wav and mp3 files and their directories and sub-directories.

2) with articy, what are some good tips for a question where i want a random answer chosen from a list of possibilities? (Ex: i have 3 answers to How are you doing? but i want one to be chosen randomly every time the character is asked, and all have to be used before an answer can be repeated).

Any and all help is appreciated!
rpoteat

Re: New to Articy & need help.

Thu 2. Mar 2017, 13:12

Hi rpoteat,

to give you a quick answer to your question number one: Unfortunately, no. Because of the structure needed in the file you are not able to import an Excel file not created with articy:draft. But what you can do is - you can use the Macro Devkit (in articy:draft 3) and write your own "importer" for your custom formatted files.

Question number two: Commonly, this is not something you'd want to do in articy:draft itself. In articy:draft you prepare your data and then in the engine you use - or wherever you further process your prepared data, you do the random select.

Otherwise you might find some interesting information here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720851257.
But I don't know if this is what you are looking for?
Peter Thielmann

Re: New to Articy & need help.

Sat 4. Mar 2017, 03:41

[Nevigo] Peter Thielmann wrote:Hi rpoteat,

to give you a quick answer to your question number one: Unfortunately, no. Because of the structure needed in the file you are not able to import an Excel file not created with articy:draft. But what you can do is - you can use the Macro Devkit (in articy:draft 3) and write your own "importer" for your custom formatted files.

Question number two: Commonly, this is not something you'd want to do in articy:draft itself. In articy:draft you prepare your data and then in the engine you use - or wherever you further process your prepared data, you do the random select.

Otherwise you might find some interesting information here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720851257.
But I don't know if this is what you are looking for?

trying to get an example ready - not being able to copy pre-created elements from one project to another in articy is a bit of a drag -have to manually re-create all of the links, entities, locations, etc from scratch, hopefully will have this over the weekend now that I have some time off work.
rpoteat

Return to Technical Discussion