Lack of Dictionary or Map containers (Drop-down list issue)

Wed 29. Nov 2017, 14:42

Hi,

So at some point I want the dialog fragment to branch to other two dialog fragments depending on some dynamic condition (like ie. a test for a skill). So I've got a player which can choose a dialog line which requires to perform a test for intelligence and the test being conducted should be added to the dialog line (for example: [Intelligence 60%] Try to solve the puzzle). The test is performed using an ingame algorithm. For now I have come up with the following solution:
1. I have defined a drop-down property with player attributes that can be put to a test.
2. I''ve created a template with the feature AttributeTest which has the attribute drop-down property and an integer value for the percentage.
3. I've defined the global variables with the text values for these attributes.
4. When traversing the dialog ingame I'm checking if the dialog fragment has the template and then get the attribute (which is an enum) and use it to obtain the text value in the global variable (using string manipulation). Having the enum text value I can display it to the player in the dialog line and using the enum itself I can perform the test on specific skill.

Does it have to be done this way or am I missing something in articy:draft? A Dictionary or a Map data structure in articy could greatly improve usability and readability in such cases.
dread

Return to Technical Discussion