Steam version crashes on startup

Sun 3. Mar 2013, 03:32

The splash screen displays, then it says loading Articy Core Components, hangs for a few seconds, and then crashes. The crash report says

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ArticyDraft.exe
Application Version: 1.5.0.23769
Application Timestamp: 512752f8
Fault Module Name: gameoverlayrenderer64.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.68.4.89
Fault Module Timestamp: 512b1709
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000000369dc
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 84b7
Additional Information 2: 84b7c6d24bd5b9aa7debda6bcd66e225
Additional Information 3: 0629
Additional Information 4: 062982adb02624117ad1e790e52697f2

This issue happens with the game overlay disabled or enabled.
Windows 7 64-bit
nautikus

Re: Steam version crashes on startup

Sun 3. Mar 2013, 03:41

I've tried creating a shortcut to the .exe itself and launching with the -steam switch. This time it fails to start and gives this error message:

Failed to start articy:draft because initialization of the Steam platform has failed.
nautikus

Mon 4. Mar 2013, 00:52

I have had the same error and managed to work around it. Unfortunately it seems to be a compatibility problem with nvidia drivers and the 64 bit steam/articy combo.

I started getting this crash after forcing my computer to use my nvidia graphics card for all applications. After reactivating automatic GPU switch, my intel integrated gpu was used for this application and it worked fine again. So if you have multiple GPUs, try using another one.
Kaeladar

Mon 4. Mar 2013, 20:48

Hi all,

thanks for reporting this and adding all that helpful information.

This is an issue we're currently investigating and working on with highest priority. As Kaeladar pointed out, it seems to be an issue on machines with multi-graphic-adapters, and we're narrowing it down at this very moment.

Will update you on this once we've come up with a solution.

Cheers,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Sat 16. Mar 2013, 22:55

Is there any update on this? I still cannot get the software to work. It might be time to take you guys up on that trial extension.
Dynimix

Mon 18. Mar 2013, 01:29

Dynimix wrote:Is there any update on this? I still cannot get the software to work. It might be time to take you guys up on that trial extension.

Hi Dynimix,

according to this post of our tech lead in the Steam forums, Valve has fixed the bug in the Steamworks API (the framework that all Steam games and tools have to integrate). Unfortunately, the bugfix hasn't been released instantly, but it'll be in one of the following updates.

We'll definitely extend your trial period until then. Just email us at support@nevigo.com with your Steam username and license key ("CD key" on Steam), and we'll give you more trial time until the problem has been solved.

Thanks for your patience, and our apologies for the inconvenience!
All the best,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Sat 13. Apr 2013, 19:47

I've been experiencing this same issue on my machine (Desktop, Windows 7 64bit, dual Nvidia GTX 460, no MB built-on Video). I downloaded the stand alone demo which ran fine and after the expiration I then purchased the Steam version. I did uninstall the demo prior to installing from Steam. I have updated all my system drivers and have tried signing up for the Steam beta client with no success in starting Articy.

I still get the error message "Failed to start articy:draft because initialization of the Steam platform has failed." Is this is related to Nvidia drivers? or something that can only be addressed by Valve?
Gamesicle

Mon 15. Apr 2013, 20:20

Gamesicle wrote:I've been experiencing this same issue on my machine (Desktop, Windows 7 64bit, dual Nvidia GTX 460, no MB built-on Video). I downloaded the stand alone demo which ran fine and after the expiration I then purchased the Steam version. I did uninstall the demo prior to installing from Steam. I have updated all my system drivers and have tried signing up for the Steam beta client with no success in starting Articy.

I still get the error message "Failed to start articy:draft because initialization of the Steam platform has failed." Is this is related to Nvidia drivers? or something that can only be addressed by Valve?

Hi Gamesicle,

Thanks for reporting. We're still busy working with Valve on a solution to this. We narrowed down possible causes to "somewhere in the Steam API" and "something with multiple graphics cards", and Valve claimed to have fixed the issue in the previous update. Yet, some people are still experiencing the same issues, presumably after a graphics driver update...

Long story short, we're digging deeper. Sorry for the inconvenience. If this blocks you from something, please email us at support@nevigo.com with your Steam profile name and your articy:draft CD key. We can give you a non-Steam license and deactivate your Steam key while we're working on this with Valve.

All the best,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Sun 2. Nov 2014, 00:43

Has there been any progress on this problem? I had the original articy:draft SE and it worked fine. I didn't try to use it until recently when I got this problem (the message "Failed to start articy:draft because initialization of the Steam platform has failed."). I wanted to upgrade anyway to version 2.0, so I tried buying and installing it but that didn't help either. putting "-32" in the launch options doesn't fix it either. Please help.
Av8or73

Sun 13. Nov 2016, 14:49

I am now suffering from this exact problem.
nazo the dark 8756

Next

Return to Technical Discussion