articy:draft on linux under wine

Sun 3. Mar 2013, 12:55

Hello
Is there a way to use articy:draft under wine? For now my best try only shows me loading screen and error below.

Distro: Ubuntu 12.10
Kernel: Linux olloffs 3.6.3-030603-generic #201210211349 SMP Sun Oct 21 17:50:41 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Wine: wine-1.5.25
.Net 4.0.30319
Clean WINEARCH 32 prefix

Code: Select all
Exec string:
env  WINEPREFIX='/home/olloff/games/.articy'  WINESERVER='/usr/bin/wineserver'  WINELOADER='/usr/bin/wine'  WINEDLLPATH='/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/'  WINEARCH='win32'  /bin/sh -c "cd '/home/olloff/games/.articy/drive_c/articy draft/bin/' &&   '/usr/bin/wine'   'ArticyDraft.exe'  2>&1 "

With mscoree.dll built-in:
Exit code:
App STDOUT and STDERR output:
fixme:mscoree:parse_startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy=L"true" not implemented
fixme:mscoree:parse_supported_runtime sku=L".NETFramework,Version=v4.0" not implemented
fixme:mscoree:CLRMetaHost_GetRuntime Unrecognized version L"v4.0"
fixme:console:AttachConsole stub ffffffff
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
err:dc:CreateDCW no driver found for L"\\"
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f3c0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithHandleData

With mscoree.dll native:
Exit code:
App STDOUT and STDERR output:
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\articy draft\\bin\\ArticyDraft.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\articy draft\\bin\\ArticyDraft.exe" failed, status c0000135

Crash dump: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6436783/CrashIn ... _15_08.zip
Olloff

Re: articy:draft on linux under wine

Mon 4. Mar 2013, 03:21

Ok, after some tries I still have similar situation: loading screen and app error. Dump can be found here.
But i've managed to get some new detail from wine log - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6436783/winelog.txt.zip:

err:eventlog:ReportEventW L".NET Runtime version 4.0.30319.1 - There was a failure initializing profiling API attach infrastructure.  This process will not allow a profiler to attach.  HRESULT: 0x800706a9.  Process ID (decimal): 56.  Message ID: [0x2509]."
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised

I'd be grateful if you can help me.
Olloff

Mon 4. Mar 2013, 20:46

Hi Olloff,

I myself am not entirely sure about this, so I'll talk with our devs and get back to you soon.

Best,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 5. Mar 2013, 07:34

Thanks, it would be very nice if your app can be used in more than one OS.
Olloff

Thu 7. Mar 2013, 01:09

Hi Olloff,

articy:draft is developed using Mirosoft's Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)
This Libraries are currently not supported/implemented by the Mono project on which WINE is based.

So the short answer is: No you can't run articy:draft with WINE regardless of the platform.

Running articy:draft within an virtual machine works if the host is powerful enough.

Sorry that I can't provide better news.

Best,
-Peter
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Thu 7. Mar 2013, 04:23

Sorry to hear that. I already use virtual machine to run articy, but in fact I would prefer more seamless integration with my OS.

As I say earlier, multiple OS support (no matter, native or through wine) can bring your app to new audience. Seems to be its more a feature request now =)
Olloff

Wed 17. Sep 2014, 05:46

Hello. Maybe it's an old topic but I have something to add so someone else might use new information.

I was able to start "articy:draft 2" under wine (1.7.18) on Ubuntu following these steps: start with a clean 32-bit wine prefix, install d3dx9, vcrun2008, vcrun2010, corefonts and dotnet40 using winetricks, then run the program setup. Seems like the first three prerequisites aren't really needed since articy:draft installs them during setup (.Net too but it needs workarounds in wine so it's best to use winetricks beforehands). The corefonts are needed to overcome this bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32323.

After flawless setup the program is able to start (minor graphical glitches on the loading screen but it's barely worth mentioning). Everything on the startup screen works: tutorials, menus, help, etc. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test full functionality since there seems to be a problem with a license - single-user mode was telling me that my trial license wasn't valid (I don't have a server to test if multi-user version works) due to "Invalid data received" (see attached screenshot and log https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/186 ... ticy_1.log). From my opinion, it's most probably due to wine's missing support for some ciphering or network features.
Attachments
articy-license-error.jpeg
Screenshot with running articy and license error
articy-license-error.jpeg (243.26 KiB) Viewed 31479 times
zhur

Wed 17. Sep 2014, 06:14

And indeed, right after I wrote my post an idea struck me to try and also install some cryptography features. After I ran winetricks crypt32 and restarted the application the error became different: it tells that adding the license failed. The log now has more meaningful messages about exceptions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18655883/articy.log. But probably the most important is that the following lines are printed to the wine console log:
wine: Call from 0x7b83be75 to unimplemented function cryptnet.dll.I_CryptNetIsConnected, aborting
wine: Call from 0x7b83be75 to unimplemented function cryptnet.dll.I_CryptNetIsConnected, aborting

So seems like wine doesn't currently support the ciphering type that the articy:draft (or some .Net extension it uses) needs for license checking. I'll try using native cryptnet.dll and see if it helps.

Also, I installed gdiplus with winetrciks (just to check if it could somehow help) and the graphics issues with the loading screen are gone now.
zhur

Return to Technical Discussion