Versioning

Fri 10. Mar 2017, 08:32

Hello,

We have a problem.

In our project we are using two branches:
- Trunk - every day work.. where all magic happens
- Release - it's game version which is on store. We use this branch to prepare a hotfix. It's for safety.

We are using svn which handles code, art etc. Everything works.

We have one Articy project which is shared between Release and Trunk branches. It's a pain. We can't do a big changes in our quest flow because in situation when we would like do a fix in flow for Release game version we will have there also changes connected with Trunk. It's not productive.

How we can resolve this problem? I believe that more developers have the same situation.

Thank you, Krzysztof
chris

Re: Versioning

Mon 13. Mar 2017, 15:55

Hi Krzysztof,

ok ... I think there is no really easy solution to your branching problem right now.
I'll maybe able to give you a more detailed answer after I talked to our CTO on this issue.
But in every case, the risk of a failed merge will always be high nevertheless. That's because of the "flow-node-structure".
Peter Thielmann

Mon 20. Mar 2017, 14:31

Thank you Peter for your answer.
Our project is a F2P game. Support for live game version without stoping the development is crucial for us. Articy is a cool tool with a lot of possibilities but this one point is problematic for us.

If you will have any idea how to resolve this issue please write. If merge is a problem - maybe we can change our project organization or branches to something else. We are open to suggestions:) Thanks.
chris

Mon 20. Mar 2017, 23:45

Our projects regularly use multiple branches in a similar fashion. This will be a problem for us in the future as well.

edit: after reading the OP again, I am not sure we would have this issue: Our practice is generally to duplicate the Release Branch changes on the Dev branch if we need to, test, then push the whole thing over.
doday

Thu 23. Mar 2017, 10:40

After talking back to our CTO I'm able to present you a possible option regarding the branching issue. Keep in mind that this is a solution that is still somewhat daring and it means that you still have a manual workload.

Ok, the thing is, articy:draft is able to save your data in a .json file that is pure text. So you are able to do the merging manually while seeing everything in a readable format. I know some customers do go this way ... if this might be an option for you I need to activate that feature for you.

Therefore please pm me here or write an eMail to support@nevigo.com and attach your license key so that we can activate that feature for you if desired.
Peter Thielmann

Return to General Discussion