Script properties and Presentation mode

Mon 27. Mar 2017, 17:08

I've added some 'Instruction' Script Properties into my Dialogue Fragment templates to update a global variable based on dialogue choices.

For e.g. TomMads.happinessIndex ++

When I step through it in Presentation Mode it doesn't seem to do anything though. If I put the same line onto the output pin of a Dialogue Fragment in the flow instead, it works fine.

Is this a valid application of a Script Property? Or am I missing a step?
McDosy

Re: Script properties and Presentation mode

Mon 27. Mar 2017, 17:22

That is correct, the presentation mode ignores all template properties.
The reason for that is, that the template properties are completely user driven. The presentation mode can't know if a script property should becalled or not.
The script could be a zone trigger, or something that should be called when the user clicks the mouse or swipes on the screen.

Thats why the presentation mode only works with what it knows about, and that are pins and ofc the explicit nodes, "Condition" and "Instruction".

Hope that clears things a bit up

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
Senior Software Engineer | Articy | LinkedIn
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 28. Mar 2017, 15:16

Is there no way to flag them to be called? I can understand why I wouldn't want that to always be the case, but I don't see why it can't be an option.

I want to put my metascoring scripts in templates so I can adjust them globally. Having to individually update them in hundreds (possibly thousands) of pins and Instruction nodes throughout the project is a non-starter, even if that is the only method compatible with the presentation mode.
McDosy

Tue 28. Mar 2017, 21:25

Currently, no there is no way to call them. We always considered the Presentation Mode more of a rough preview mode, than an actual full fledged "game simulator".
We would have to add way more features to please everyone. So because we knew we couldn't do it, we tried to focus on our main strength: Dialogue editing. And tried to stay true to that vision.

Unfortunately it is at this time not something we can easily add.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't ways to solve what you would like to do.
For example one thing that comes to my mind is using unity and our articyimporter plugin. The plugin has the flow player which is basically a customizable presentation view.
In unity you just add a little bit of code to access your templates and call the scripts necessary. You can see all the global variables and add even more views for debugging and balancing for example.

I know this is not a very satisfying solution, especially because of the turnaround times of exporting and importing, and it could be too much work for what you might have in mind, but it would achieve what you are looking for.

Sorry for not having a better answer, but hope you can make it work.

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
Senior Software Engineer | Articy | LinkedIn
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to General Discussion