Articy Draft License Check

Thu 13. Jul 2017, 09:17

I own AD+AD2 & AD3 on steam and since I am unable to receive any feedback or reply from you guys (@Nevigo) over there; I am posting it here.

Your software requires a constant license check even if a user owns a perpetual commercial license.
i.e Every single time a user runs the software there is license check with the Nevigo Server.
Why is this necessary even if a user owns a perpetual commercial license ?

Without an internet connection a user is locked out of all projects until he connects once again to the server.
In case of nevigo server being down or a user's net being down he/she has no access to any of the projects.
All this for a software that hardly has an online component.

Is there any solution for this or you just can't be bothered ?
Nashnir

Re: Articy Draft License Check

Thu 13. Jul 2017, 17:41

Hi Nashnir,

Since articy:draft is sold on various platforms (steam/non steam) and with different payment models (one time payment / subscription / mixed) and also has a multi user version we needed a model that works for all variants.

The resulting model is that all license related information was centralized at our own licensing server since steam does not provide all required information.

So we end up with a required internet access the first time you start articy:draft and to update the license at least every 30 days.

We thought this to be a fair model, because that solves our needs and is able to cope with internet drops for some time. It it more or less the same that is used by Adobe or many other development tools like Resharper.

Yes, the license check is tried on every start, and extends the 30 day limit if it succeeds, but does not make any problems if the check fails within this time window.

I don't see long gaps in your license sync entries in our logs, so you seem to have a proper internet connection most of your time.

I am sorry if that get you upset, but don't think sales and management likes that to be changed.
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Thu 13. Jul 2017, 19:39

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am unable to get the 30 day extension as you said.
After my recent login into the server, I disconnected from the net and started AD3 again.
The following is what I get. Is this just issue on my end?
Edit 01: In the following state, I am unable to work on any projects.
I currently don't have issues with internet but this situation doesn't allow portability for the fear of lack of internet availability if I were to travel.
AD3lICENSE.PNG
AD3 License
AD3lICENSE.PNG (84.39 KiB) Viewed 15842 times
Nashnir

Tue 18. Jul 2017, 18:40

Thanks a lot. :D

I have not noticed anything specific regarding license management in the changelog but the 3.1.3 update for steam fixed the issue I had.
Thank you, once again.
This helps me a lot :D
I will update my review soon to reflect the same. Appreciate your help and support ( Intentional or otherwise :D).
Nashnir

Wed 19. Jul 2017, 13:50

Hi Nashnir,

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted to tell you that there was a minor change in the code in the 3.1.3 (considered too small for even the changelog).
But if that helps it's great. I also appreciate that you will update your review accordingly.
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to General Discussion