Where in the dialogue would you place your function triggers

Sun 20. Aug 2017, 10:26

I'm working on logic in Unreal Engine 4 to be able to use the Articy Draft dialogue in our game. I managed to import the JSON export file from Articy Draft, parse it and set up the logic in UE4 including analyzing paths, conditions and instructions and even some basic processing of the espresso scripting.

I'm trying to decide what would be the best place to put the function triggers to (e.g. for firing the animations).

One of the ideas is to place the triggers into the "Full text" field under the "General" tab in the Dialogue Fragments, like this:
FunctionTrigger_FullTextField.jpg
Function triggers in the "Full text" field under the General tab
FunctionTrigger_FullTextField.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 10738 times

Another one is to create templates for the nodes and add a field(s) for the function:
FunctionTrigger_TemplateFields.jpg
Function triggers in a template field
FunctionTrigger_TemplateFields.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 10738 times

I'm wondering how other developers are approaching the issue of firing the custom events through placing the funtion triggers into the Articy Draft dialogue. Any suggestions are welcome :)
unreal_dev

Re: Where in the dialogue would you place your function trig

Mon 21. Aug 2017, 02:38

We used the Instruction node and have our own function handlers in the C++ code. For some cases such as sorting the responses we used the {some command here} notation and put it in the stage direction box.

We also did the same thing for the condition nodes so we could make dialog branches depending on game state.
rjsams

Re: Where in the dialogue would you place your function trig

Tue 22. Aug 2017, 07:28

Thank you for your suggestions. I've been looking at the Instruction node as well at first, but the trade-off was that I wasn't able to use the espresso syntax checker effectively anymore. The node would show an error in Articy.

I like the curly braces tip.
unreal_dev

Return to General Discussion