Document writing, exporting and styling

Mon 25. Jun 2018, 10:40

Hi, Is there a way after exporting document to docx to keep information about font text styles used in document? For example text style "title", text style "subtitle", text style "paragraph text" etc.... Being able to easily style my documents in external software like Open Office or Google Docs? Because now If I want to do nice looking exported Articy documents for presentation I would need to manually assign custom text styles to every single text chunk (every title,subtitle, paragraph...etc...) and for long documents this can be really tedious :/.

edit: Also I am not able to open docx exported from Articy in Open Office :/.

edit02: Also the title after export is treated as bullet list instead of text style. Is there a reason why not to use compatible text styles with external software and give possibility to change text styles easily in external software?
documentexportedtogoogledocs.jpg
documentexportedtogoogledocs.jpg (203.93 KiB) Viewed 27498 times

Thanks,
David
davidvacek

Re: Document writing, exporting and styling

Tue 26. Jun 2018, 10:48

Hi David,

The DOCX export of articy:draft is tailored and tested with Microsoft Word.
Most other programs use the same storage format (DOCX) but interpret values differently.
This is why opening a DOCX file written in Open Office does not look the same if opened with MS Word and vice versa.

Google Docs is a problem of its own. It has only a limited set of fonts so the default Word font "Calibri" is not found and will be substituted by "Times New Roman".
The same applied to styles. Google Docs only supports 6 styles and the articy:draft export uses much more to mimic styles of Final Draft. This results in the use of numbered lists with text for the used Headline styles.

The best and most compatible free office suite is "LibreOffice 6" which can be found here www.libreoffice.org

Using that you can open the exported files without any hassle.
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Wed 27. Jun 2018, 19:11

Hi Peter,

Thank you a lot for quick reply, clearing it for me and pointing to LibreOffice as solution! Works perfectly! I will think about getting MS Word, but for now this is perfect!

Still getting used to all possibilities in Articy, but enjoying the software! Awesome tools to keep track of everything in one place!

All best,
David
davidvacek

Thu 15. Nov 2018, 07:18

[Nevigo] Peter Sabath wrote:Hi David,

The DOCX export of articy:draft is tailored and tested with Microsoft Word.
Most other programs use the same storage format (DOCX) but interpret values differently.
This is why opening a DOCX file written in Open Office does not look the same if opened with MS Word and vice versa.

Google Docs is a problem of its own. It has only a limited set of fonts so the default Word font "Calibri" is not found and will be substituted by "Times New Roman".
The same applied to styles. Google Docs only supports 6 styles and the articy:draft export uses much more to mimic styles of Final Draft. This results in the use of numbered lists with text for the used Headline styles.

The best and most compatible free office suite is "LibreOffice 6" which can be found here www.libreoffice.org

Using that you can open the exported files without any hassle.

I appreciate this. But, I have a question. Why the MS Word format appears like that? What's the solution other than libreoffice?
johndowns

Sat 19. Sep 2020, 22:58

davidvaceak wrote:Hi, Is there a way after exporting document to docx to keep information about font text styles used in document? For example text style "title", text style "subtitle", text style "paragraph text" etc.... Being able to easily style my documents in external software like Open Office or Google Docs? Because i was and phneq GNC deals results now If I want to do nice looking exported Articy documents for presentation I would need to manually assign custom text styles to every single article text chunk (every title,subtitle, paragraph...etc...) and for long documents this can be really tedious :/.

edit: Also I am not able to open docx exported from Articy in Open Office :/.

edit02: Also the title after export is treated as bullet list instead of text style. Is there a reason why not to use compatible text styles with external software and give possibility to change text styles easily in external software?
documentexportedtogoogledocs.jpg

Thanks Alot !

Thanks,
David
WayneMcClain

Return to General Discussion