Second and third PC with same Steam account and Dropbox clou

Tue 5. Mar 2013, 19:51

(crosspost from steam fora)
Before buying, I want to know.
Am I allowed to use my same steam laptop for continuing work on my project when travelling, and my second PC when Im in my second apartment in capital city? None would work same time of course. all can connect to net to verify.

How can I setup project saving to my cloud storage? (Dropbox for example)

Are you going to go for tablets for editing and viewing? Please do as I do a lot of my work whiole traveling on iPad. and its very usefull.

Is it going to be available on 2013 iMac?
Athelas Loriael

Re: Second and third PC with same Steam account and Dropbox

Wed 6. Mar 2013, 02:19

I got the 30 day trial and the license would not allow me to install it on multiple PCs.

If the full license does not allow this either I won't buy it.
buhrmi

Wed 6. Mar 2013, 15:42

(crosspost from the thread in the Steam forums ;) )

Hi Athelas,

You can use articy:draft SE on several machines, but only the machine where your Steam client is logged in will be able to run it. So the workflow you described should work. Dropbox brings a few traps you can fall into, though. For example, when you're booting up articy:draft on your machine B and open the project before Dropbox has finished synchronization, you'll be vieweing an outdated version of your project. Saving your project now overwrites the changes you've made on machine A.

But besides that, I see no problems with the setup you've described. If you'll actually put this into action and can spare some time, please update us here on your experience with it.

Best regards,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Fri 8. Mar 2013, 20:38

I actually have gone with this solution and it works perfect thus far, I've been using Articy:draft on my stationary, my larger laptop and my Acer EeePC on the go and dropbox does it's deed great, but like Kai said you need to make sure that all synchronization is finished before opening up your project.

Articy actually gave me my first reason to really use dropbox so it's a win win for me, that's for sure! :)
Fagertveit

Sat 9. Mar 2013, 19:34

That sounds fantastic. Thanks for updating us here.
All the best for your projects,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 12. Mar 2013, 06:51

Just dropping a line here to mention that's the steam + articy + dropbox on few computers works perfectly on my side.
svedash

Tue 12. Mar 2013, 21:36

svedash wrote:Just dropping a line here to mention that's the steam + articy + dropbox on few computers works perfectly on my side.

Great, thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

@all: When you go for the DropBox solution, please wait for the synchronization to be finished before you load the project in articy:draft. When you're booting up articy:draft on your machine B and open the project before Dropbox has finished synchronization, you'll be vieweing an outdated version of your project. Saving your project now overwrites the changes you've made on machine A.

Best,
-Kai
Kai Rosenkranz
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Thu 17. Oct 2013, 20:10

This answered my question as well, I'm super happy this is working for others, I elected to skip 'steam' and go to the source, but I also intend to work in a similar format. A Tablet PC that I use at work (like a laptop,) and then my main home 'Gaming' machine that is much nicer and where I prefer to compute from.

Icing on the cake that the multiple PC installation (used one at a time of course,) is a valid workflow method.

Thank you,

Wade "zWolf" Hone.
zWolf

Thu 12. Dec 2013, 23:15

I've also setup a solution like this, though I use Google Drive instead of drop box. Works great for me! I prefer to use my gaming machine with dual monitors for the extra screen real estate when I can, but I get "brownie points" with my girlfriend for sitting with her on the couch and using my laptop ;)
illjudged

Fri 15. May 2015, 09:16

Is that actually possible? I never thought that we could play with a single steam account on three PC. So can we play like this at the same time. I mean simultaneously. I would really appreciate any help from you guys.

---------------------------------
CORBIN GRAVELY
what are cheese curds
---------------------------------
corbingravely

Return to General Discussion