Re: Database imported, but names are wrong

Tue 20. Dec 2016, 16:16

From the exception you posted it looks like your svn unity plugin encountered an error. You also said that once you start reimporting unity crashes. I have a suspicion that those problems could be related. Usually SVN will handle binary files by using Locks, to enforce those locks SVN usually sets the read only flag on those affected files. Inside the Generated/Resources folder all files can be ignored by the Version Control system. Because they will be rebuilt using a re import.
This should not be a problem, because even if the file is readonly i'm confident that the plugin and unity will handle those gracefully and not just plain crash to the desktop.
Just an idea going through your posts again.
I will now try to recreate the issues with your data.

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
Senior Software Engineer | Articy | LinkedIn
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 20. Dec 2016, 16:26

Ah, thank you for pointing that out.
I'll see if I can add a suitable exception to SVN for the Generated folders.

However I haven't put any of the Articy beta stuff under SVN control yet, so the SVNTool shouldn't be doing much with them...
Winterblood

Tue 20. Dec 2016, 16:37

Was just an idea. But im testing your data with a completely new empty project, no other plugins and it is also crashing on my machine.
So now i'm in the process of understanding what part of your data is causing this :)
Nico Probst
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 20. Dec 2016, 16:40

Oh, that'll be my explosive dialogue ;)
Mail me if you need to look at the source Articy project.
Winterblood

Thu 6. Jul 2017, 01:23

OK...after a long wait while all the plugins we're using updated to Unity 5.6, I was able to update our project to 5.6, which I hoped would fix the intermittent import crash.
Unfortunately the Articy import crashed first time on 5.6 (access violation)
I've got the error log and dmp file.
It's possible I may need a new version of the Unity plugin, but I don't believe I've received any notification that it was updated.
Trying updating that now...

[EDIT] OK, my Articy Unity plugin was DEFINITELY out of date. How are these updates announced? I'm obviously not hearing about them...
However, after updating the plugin, reimporting the Articy database hung Unity on "Importing Object Data" instead of crashing it.
Winterblood

Thu 6. Jul 2017, 10:01

Hi Winterblood,

unfortunately the crash is not yet fixed and is proven to be really difficult to track down. From what i know is, that the crash differes by project and user. Some never have a crash, i personally only get it by changing something drasting in the import like toggling localizations and only 90% of the time, others seem to have it way more often. I'm still gathering all cases users have. So if something has changed in the way the crash happens that you could report i'm happy to hear it. You said it hung? Is that still happening or was that the first time and now it seems fine? The latter is what i witnessed. It could also very well be that it seems to hang at about 60% importing objects. A clear sign for an actual crash/freeze is if the spinner(lower right corner of unity) is gone while the progress bar dialog of the plugin is still showing for a longer period of time (30seconds).

The notification, or the lack of it, is something that is bugging me aswell. The deal is, normally we would be in the unity asset store by now and could use their notification system. Unfortunately unity is making it extremely difficult to approve the plugin. After discussing the issue i managed to free some additional time to add a small notification system into the plugin.

Not much of a consolation but i hope that makes the current situation a bit clearer.

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Thu 6. Jul 2017, 12:08

Thanks Nico - much appreciated. I'll try to provide whatever info I can on the crashes/hangs.
It seems stable again at the moment because I've changed the settings back to what I had before (no localisation, default filter).
I can't spend any time experimenting until after the Develop conference next week, but if I stumble across anything I'll pass it on.
Winterblood

Thu 6. Jul 2017, 13:59

Its worth noting that it usually only crashes once when toggling localization, any further use with or without localization is usually fine and should not crash. So don't hesitate to turn localization on if needed, just expect a first crash.

Have a nice conference!

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Previous

Return to articy:draft Unity Importer