Technical doubts regarding database and asset bundles unity

Thu 28. Feb 2019, 22:47

Hi, I have some doubts about articy. I looked in the forum and in the documentation and didn't find any responses related to them.

1) Is it possible to have more that one articy database in Unity?

2) How articy deals with asset bundles in Unity? Can I have articy database data splits in numerous assets bundles? How do I do it?

3) How is the localization performance? Does it override android values xmls? Does the search for the language in the database is made value per value?

I hope you can help me with this doubts, thanks.
taybacry

Re: Technical doubts regarding database and asset bundles un

Fri 1. Mar 2019, 09:11

Hi taybacry,

1) Is it possible to have more that one articy database in Unity?

Its a requested feature, but currently no. One articy:draft project and one database. But it is possible to split your data into multiple packages and you can load them at runtime anytime you wish. But all these packages come from a single export file.

2) How articy deals with asset bundles in Unity? Can I have articy database data splits in numerous assets bundles? How do I do it?

As mentioned before: You can create packages to load different kind of data. For example you could have Packages per Chapter, or per Level or per DLC whatever your need is. No additional support for asset bundles yet. If you want to know how to work with packages and Export rulesets check this help article.

How is the localization performance? Does it override android values xmls? Does the search for the language in the database is made value per value?

Localization is created at edit time and is using a custom built system. Localization is loaded/unloaded together with the before mentioned packages at runtime. Lookup of a localization value is done by providing a string key and is O(1) as its a basic C# dictionary in the background. If you use our Text Extensions its a bit slower but still rather fast even for larger texts.

I hope that helps in your decision making process and if you need anything else let me know!

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
Senior Software Engineer | Articy | LinkedIn
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to articy:draft Unity Importer