Articy Export and Localization

Wed 18. Mar 2020, 17:28

Hey folks and support team,

I need some help trying to understand what Articy exports and what it exports when it comes to localization.
Afaik when I want to export my project I can create specific presets (the export rulesets if I'm not mistaken) what gets exported and what not.

The export is divided in the data layout and the packages. I can create also different packages and even rearrange them.

1) Let's assume I export everything and only have on export package which exports...also everything.
Is there a need for additional packages at all?

2) When I export my articy project the .articyu3d file is the important thing at the end, right? Is it correct to assume that upon IMPORT the contents of this file are responsible for generating the ArticyDatabase.asset file for Unity?

Now the package functionality seems to be interesting because I can split specific things up, especially when it comes down to elements for localization.

3) If I have multiple packages set up, let's say three packages, and select all of them for export then export them to Unity. After that I update the articy project, only some flows which are related to package 2, then I only export package 2. What happens? Will the previous exported Package 1 and 3 be deleted or will only Package 2 be overwritten?

4) I would like to make packages related to the dialogues of the game, how should I set up the export rulesets to ONLY export these specific flows and that in the exported Excel file there are only the actual dialog fragments strings. As of now this is how my current package looks like:

Snapshot.png
Snapshot.png (44.67 KiB) Viewed 17291 times

But the generated Excel file gives me strings for every object in the project, template designs, other flow objects, documents etc.

I want it that way so we can provide our localizers a sheet with only relevant strings to localize.

Oh and I have this problem:
I created a global variable, exported the project and could work with that variable in a script. Then I deleted my script in Unity, deleted the global variable in articy and exported again and I get this error:

Assets\ArticyImporter\Content\Generated\ArticyScriptFragments.cs(40,35): error CS1061: 'ArticyGlobalVariables' does not contain a definition for 'CharacterInventory' and no accessible extension method 'CharacterInventory' accepting a first argument of type 'ArticyGlobalVariables' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I used the "Clear Generated Files" command from the Tools Menu for articy, that helped once, but as of now I get this error almost al all the time I export to Unity :/

I restarted Unity and Articy but as of now it comes down to luck to get it working. Seems like a bug.
btsslawa

Re: Articy Export and Localization

Fri 20. Mar 2020, 14:50

Hi btsslawa,

1) Let's assume I export everything and only have on export package which exports...also everything.
Is there a need for additional packages at all?

In general, I would say no. Except you want to unload the package that contains everything some reason.

2) When I export my articy project the .articyu3d file is the important thing at the end, right? Is it correct to assume that upon IMPORT the contents of this file are responsible for generating the ArticyDatabase.asset file for Unity?

Yes, that’s right.

3) If I have multiple packages set up, let's say three packages, and select all of them for export then export them to Unity. After that I update the articy project, only some flows which are related to package 2, then I only export package 2. What happens? Will the previous exported Package 1 and 3 be deleted or will only Package 2 be overwritten?

The previous exported packages 1 and 3 will be deleted.

4) I would like to make packages related to the dialogues of the game, how should I set up the export rulesets to ONLY export these specific flows and that in the exported Excel file there are only the actual dialog fragments strings. As of now this is how my current package looks like:

But the generated Excel file gives me strings for every object in the project, template designs, other flow objects, documents etc.

I want it that way so we can provide our localizers a sheet with only relevant strings to localize.

That is indeed a bug. I could reproduce it and we will take a closer look into it.

Oh and I have this problem:
I created a global variable, exported the project and could work with that variable in a script. Then I deleted my script in Unity, deleted the global variable in articy and exported again and I get this error:

Assets\ArticyImporter\Content\Generated\ArticyScriptFragments.cs(40,35): error CS1061: 'ArticyGlobalVariables' does not contain a definition for 'CharacterInventory' and no accessible extension method 'CharacterInventory' accepting a first argument of type 'ArticyGlobalVariables' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I used the "Clear Generated Files" command from the Tools Menu for articy, that helped once, but as of now I get this error almost al all the time I export to Unity :/

I restarted Unity and Articy but as of now it comes down to luck to get it working. Seems like a bug.

I have a few questions about this issue:
- Did you named your variable namespace ArticyGlobalVariables or does it refers to the ArticyGlobalVariables class of the plugin?
- Could you do conflict search in your Articy project? https://www.articy.com/help/UI_Conflicts.html
- Does this also happen when you export to a new Unity project?

Best regards,

Chris
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 24. Mar 2020, 09:40

@Christian Thank you very much for the answers! :)

As for your questions:

Q: Did you named your variable namespace ArticyGlobalVariables or does it refers to the ArticyGlobalVariables class of the plugin?
A: By namespace you mean the name of the Variable Set you can define in the Global Variables Editor in Articy?
If so: No, I didn't name it ArticyGlobalVariables.

Q: Could you do conflict search in your Articy project? https://www.articy.com/help/UI_Conflicts.html
A: I'll just copy past the error I found, because I tried for 10 minutes to upload an image with the correct dimensions but the file uploader here denies always my images until they're too small to see anything...

Here's the error:
Output pin 1 of 'Next': Found unknown variable 'CharacterInventory.hasLetter'

At this point there are no variable sets whatsoever in the project I guess that's why it throws that error. But does that lead to the problems I see in Untiy when exporting/importing?

Q: Does this also happen when you export to a new Unity project?
A: Sadly it did.
btsslawa

Wed 25. Mar 2020, 10:43

Here's the error:
Output pin 1 of 'Next': Found unknown variable 'CharacterInventory.hasLetter'

At this point there are no variable sets whatsoever in the project I guess that's why it throws that error. But does that lead to the problems I see in Untiy when exporting/importing?

Yes, faulty scripts in articy:draft usually lead to not compilable code in Unity.
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to articy:draft Unity Importer