Importing errors

Wed 7. Feb 2018, 11:25

Hi,

So yesterday I've made some changes to our articy project adding some property definitions, features and templates. Today I was trying to import the changes into unreal but I got this error:
Objects have the same fully qualified name but different paths.
I tried the asset regeneration, changes reimport and force complete reimport options but still I got the same error. I've removed the offending file from Generated/Packages file and it helped but then another file caused the error and crash. The only solution here was to completely delete the contents of Generated/Packages folder and then regenerate the assets. This causes the references in Unreal to be cleared but fortunately articy asset id stays.

So now I'm wondering why this situation even happened. It looked like the importer wanted to import new asset which has the same file name but was a different object...? For now we don't have much articy content used in our game but later there's gonna be a lot of it and I wouldn't like to reattach every dialog or interaction to objects after the importer malfunctions. Does anyone know how to prevent this or maybe it's nthing to worry about?
dread

Re: Importing errors

Thu 8. Feb 2018, 17:56

Hi dread,

do you use multiple packages for your project?
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Sat 10. Feb 2018, 10:43

Yes I do.
dread

Thu 15. Feb 2018, 15:31

The same happens when a different computer imports the project. After updating the changes (generated uassets) importing the project again locally causes the same error and the Generated/Packages folder has to be deleted and the whole import process needs to repeated. This stiffens the usage of Articy as only one computer can import the project to avoid the errors and time waste. Can you please point to a possible solution?
dread

Thu 15. Feb 2018, 16:16

Hi dread!

Unfortunately, we couldn’t reproduce this bug up to now. I have a few more questions to you:
Which engine version do you use?
Which source control do you use?
Could you send us a project constellation (Unreal and Articy) in which the bug occurs?
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Fri 16. Feb 2018, 15:57

Hi,

I've reproduced the issue on your Maniac Manfred 3.0 sample project. Here are the steps:
1. Create new empty Unreal project
2. Install the Articy Importer plugin and enable it.
3. Export the fresh Maniac Manfred articy project to Unreal projects Content directory.
4. Import the generated articy project assets when prompted.
5. Go to articy project and change the Technical name of "Template Design/Templates/Entities/Character" to CharacterChanged.
6. Export the articy project.
7. Import the project in Unreal when prompted to.
8, Observer unreal engine crash.

I'm on unreal engine v 4.18.2, articy v 3.1.9 mulit user and using svn.
dread

Mon 19. Feb 2018, 14:35

Hi dread,

thank you for the report. We could reproduce this issue and we will look into it.
We are currently fully stretched working on articy:draft so it may take a while for us to work on it.
In the meantime i created a github issue to inform the community about the issue.

Thanks for reporting

Best regards

Nico
Nico Probst
Senior Software Engineer | Articy | LinkedIn
[Articy] Nico Probst
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Return to articy:draft Unreal Importer