GetArticyDB not available after successful import

Thu 7. Jun 2018, 11:21

I've been trying out articy draft and the unreal importer in one go, and while adhering to the instructions, I have found myself unable to use the blueprint function "GetArticyDB" as showcased in the GitHub instructions.
https://github.com/ArticySoftware/Artic ... rForUnreal

Has something changed? I used the default Mainiac Manfred 3.0 project to test it out. I do find the .uasset file in my UE4 project (UE 4.19 by the way) as well as the Articy resources folder which has images in it.
Since the plugin also does not have a solution I found it difficult to traverse all the files to find my way around.

Can someone help me out as to how to get started after importing in UE4?
Quexlaw
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Re: GetArticyDB not available after successful import

Thu 7. Jun 2018, 11:27

Hi,

You should have the [PROJECT_NAME]Database.uasset and [PROJECT_NAME]GlobalVariables.uasset in Content\ArticyContent\Resources\Generated folder. If it's not there then probably the import process failed. Please verify if these files exists.
dread

Thu 7. Jun 2018, 11:54

Thanks, I opened the articy .uasset in the content folder and forced a re-import. Now there is a generated folder and I have access to the function GetArticyDB.
Quexlaw
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Thu 2. Aug 2018, 17:32

Hi, I'm having this same issue but re-importing the articyue4 file has no effect.

Here is a screenshot of the importer - it says "Imported Packages - 0 Array elements" is that correct? All the other sections above appear to have my data.

I've tried to attach an image, and link an image, but neither appear to be working. I get various error messages so here's a plain old link:

https://postimg.cc/image/dla0yul25/

Thanks,
RisingSun

Fri 3. Aug 2018, 12:18

Hi RisingSun,

yes it seems that there is something broken. But unfortunately there is nothing we can do without more information.
Can you tell us how we can reproduce this issue? Or even better send us a broken UE project or export file?

Best regards,

Chris
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Sat 4. Aug 2018, 08:43

Sure, here is the articyue4 file I used

https://filehost.net/a8f91776819ff894
RisingSun

Mon 6. Aug 2018, 16:19

Hi RisingSun,

While testing the Plugin with your export file I had no problems to access the GetArticyDB function.
I saw the behaviour on your screenshot, but only when restarting the editor after an import (probably just something like a missing MarkPackageDirty in the importer). This should have no impact on the plugin functionality, because this asset contains only data which gets cached during the import and is not longer needed when the import is done.

Can you verify that the GetArticyDB function gets generated by the plugin? It is located in “Source\[ProjectName]\ArticyGenerated\[ProjectName]Database.h” and called “Get”.
If the function is correctly generated, you could try deleting all binaries in the project folder, just to get sure that Unreal didn’t mixed up something.

Best regards,

Chris
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Fri 10. Aug 2018, 17:49

Yeah looks like the blueprint is there in the source code, I'll give it another go and get back to you :)
RisingSun

Wed 22. Aug 2018, 07:05

Hey RisingSun,
I was having the same issue where I couldn't use GetArticyDB despite successfully loading the plugin.

I was using an existing 4.20 project, which was converted to a C++ project by adding a C++ actor.

When trying to compile again in Visual Studio, it would throw an error about an invalid path in the line the plugin directions explains about "PublicIncludePaths.AddRange(new string[] { Path.Combine(ModuleDirectory, "../../Plugins/ArticyImporter/Source/ArticyRuntime/Public") });"

Once I added "using System.IO;" to the beginning of [project name].Build.cs , I was able to build successfully, and then use GetArticyDB after a successful import.

Maybe this is an oversight because something changed in 4.20.
sammokablamo

Mon 20. May 2019, 17:36

Same problem here. Source file exists and has Get method, but I can't find it in the Blueprint editor. Other articy methods exist. Please help!

EDIT: I tried it with a new empty project and it works there. I tried copying the files over to my other project, but that didn't help.

EDIT 2: I fixed it. Removed everything articy from my project, copied the files from the other project where it works, did some adjustments (actually just the project name in one file AFAIR) and recompiled everything manually. I still can't really point my finger at what caused the problem. I guess adding a C++ module to a Blueprint project is not exactly the same as making a C++ project in the first place, but that's only a wild guess.
JCDescy

Next

Return to articy:draft Unreal Importer