Hook import chain

Tue 15. Jan 2019, 13:23

Hello,

for our project I'm trying to create a data processing chain on top of the Unreal Importer. Let me try to explain...
For now we wanted to focus on creating characters in articy:draft and then importing that information into unreal with the Unreal Importer. Based on the data the Importer generated, I want to create project related assets and other things. Say I want to take a character from the database and generate a character blueprint for our designers to use in the editor, without them manually creating those blueprints. So it's all about automation of further processing data provided by the Unreal Importer.

Now I'm looking for ways to "hook up" where the Unreal Importer left off, for example after the articy generated code is compiled, because after that the data we need is ready. So I browsed through the Unreal Importer's code to find the CodeGenerator and function at the bottom of the .cpp called "OnCompiled(...)". I thought this would be a good entry point to start my own processing chain. So I quickly wrote a class with one static function, which should get my processing chain running. This class is in our project directory, so part of our project, not the Unreal Importer. I added my class' path to the ArticyImporter.Build.cs and included my header file and called the function near the end of OnCompiled(...). Trying to compile and start the editor, I always get a linkage error. The problems seems to be a cross-dependency between the Unreal Importer and our project.

I'm quite out of ideas and I was hoping to get some input on this issue, wheter to solve the linkage error or to even find better ways to reach my goal (of which I'm sure there are MUCH better ways than what I'm trying here).
Wolf64

Re: Hook import chain

Tue 15. Jan 2019, 15:52

Hi Wolf64,

As far I know it is not allowed in Unreal to have dependencies to a project inside a plugin.
What you could use to get informed about when any point of the import process happened are delegates. If you need an example, you can take a look into the ArticyFlowPlayer. It does the same for its events like "OnBranchesUpdated".

Best regards,

Christian
[Articy] Christian Schildt
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Re: Hook import chain

Tue 22. Jan 2019, 10:35

Thanks Christian, I think that's just what I needed! :)
I'll dig into it and see what I can do. I may come back later if any other questions arise concerning this.
Wolf64

Return to articy:draft Unreal Importer