Export to JSON

Wed 7. May 2014, 01:37

So I went ahead and picked up Articy on Steam and feel that it's a fantastic design tool.

However I'm now trying to figure out how to get data from Articy into my game engine more efficiently. Sadly my game engine has no support for parsing XML's. I use Game Maker: Studio (also on Steam).

However I recently learned that it DOES have native support for loading JSON data into strings for future reference. This would seem to be a perfect fit, if only Articy could export to JSON.

In my research for JSON support I see a similar program Chat Mapper supports this export (as well as XML like Articy). However Chat Mapper looks much less polished and robust than Articy, which I already own anyway.

So I was hoping there had been some discussion on including JSON export in Articy? Would something like that get added to all versions or would it only go to Articy 2 (or 3)? If there are no such plans, does anyone have any suggestions on XML to JSON conversion? I've seen a few web tools but all seemed finicky and I hardly want phantom conversion errors on databases large enough that I felt the need to use Articy to build.

Thoughts?
Dralger

Re: Export to JSON

Mon 12. May 2014, 15:05

Hey Dralger!

Welcome to our forums. I saw your post in the Steam forums and answered over there as well.

Yes, that has been discussed and considered a good idea. In fact, it is possible to write custom exporters with articy:access and there are a lot of custom JSON exporters out there. We're planning to make articy:access available for single-user customers as well (it's currently bound to multi-user), so you can also hook up custom exporters to your version of articy:draft.

Nevertheless, a built-in JSON exporter is on our roadmap and will be added in one of the upcoming feature updates!

Best,
-Kai

Cheers!
Kai Rosenkranz
CEO | Nevigo | LinkedIn | Facebook | Xing | Google+ | MobyGames
Kai Rosenkranz
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Mon 18. May 2015, 22:16

Did this feature make it into the single user (Steam) version yet. It would be really great if I could write my own exporter to massage the data into the formats I need (XML generally, but JSON would also be good).
ivanhawkes

Mon 1. Jun 2015, 07:10

Hey Ivanhawkes!

The Steam version is quite the same as the Standalone (Singleuser) version, so yes - it will be implemented in the Steam Version. That's the good thing ;)
It's still a feature on our roadmap but we have an eye on it. And that's actually a good thing, too :)

We'll keep you updated!

Cheers
-Martin
[Articy] Martin Gebske

Mon 1. Jun 2015, 07:22

Thanks for the update! Meanwhile, I guess I'll just crank out some XSLT to knock the exported XML doc into the shape I need.
ivanhawkes

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions