A few features that will improve scripting immensely!

Mon 22. Jun 2015, 17:36

Hi Articy team! I have started getting into Articy:Expresso more and I realized it is missing a few things.

"Math" functions for use in Conditions and Instruction:
We need a "Math" object for use in scripting (not to be all Java up in here), or at least the ability to create our own articy:expresso functions so we can easily do things like selecting the smaller (or larger) of two values, round values however we please, and anything else that we can come up with. I would actually prefer this custom function feature over a "Math" library, because the possibilities are endless.

More variable types:
This is an interesting one, because I can't really think of a reason I would personally benefit from having a string or float value, but I am sure someone (and probably multiple people, myself in the future potentially included) has a use for this, and probably a really good use that I am not even smart enough to fathom yet.

The ability to define ranges for integer values:
I would really like to be able to set a range of acceptable values for any of my variables, and that would cause any variable updates in my flow to automatically clamp to that range (aka if I added 20 to a variable and that put it over my maximum value, Articy:Expresso would automatically bring the variable down to my maximum value). In my case, it's because I have variables that define how much my characters trust each other, and various other aspects of relationships or models that are best done on a range from, say for instance 0-100. I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to see this feature ASAP, and adding the Math function would make it that much better.

Thanks for reading!
fragfest

Re: A few features that will improve scripting immensely!

Tue 23. Jun 2015, 08:08

Hey fragfest,

thanks for your suggestions. Improving the scripting language is on our roadmap, but I cannot tell you what exactly will be implemented / improved.
We need a bunch of design and coding decisions yet to come. But I'll refer your points to the developing department.

Thanks for submitting,
-Martin
[Articy] Martin Gebske

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions