Renaming Files and Folders

Mon 11. Feb 2013, 21:12

I have a large file system for ..all the facets of my game.

I chose to go this direction to have a layered effect by which I could template and outline class/methods
according to the affect area; i.e. Common systems that affect the entire map down to effects that apply
to a specific tile. Very organized; taking forever to generate.

In windows explorer, while in "rename mode', I guess I'll call it, pressing tab finalizes the previous edit and
jumps to the next file or folder, already in "rename mod." Thus, applying a naming convention to a system
of folders/files in explorer, in mass, is copying the applicable text, select first file, right click, chose rename;
highlight, ctrl V, tab, highlight, ctrl V, tab...

Articy doesn't have this tabbing functionality, so it is allot more steps. Since each grouping contains similar stacks,
I copy paste the whole stack and edit the convention to correctly apply to the division; 54,000 folders per location
stack. While this is going to take an immense amount of time regardless, it is exacerbated by only having
F2 or mouse click selection.

Now, I don't want to complain too much; because the template system is going to save me multiples of the time lost
from the absence of tabbing; each word document had to be prepared before. However, If I could have tabbing,
I would dance at your wedding if you wanted.

P.S.
A second thought I had; since we are building games and not just making folders, is to find some way to apply
inheritance to sub folders. A good example might be C1T1R5S15L13F2. This folder contains a map somewhere on
continent 1; C1. Its in the first territory; T1. The fifth region; R5. the fifteenth sector; S15. Its a segment of the
thirteenth locale; L13. It is that locales second field; F2. If all subfolders of C1 were assigned the prefix C1, I could
just type T1, T2, T3... after it. Sub folders of T1 would inherit the super title C1T1, I could then type R1, R2, R3...
and so forth.

When I copy and past a stack, it would be a copy with the top file bearing the title x (copy) as is.
However, when I rename the super folder T2, it updates the inheritances of all subfolders; changing the prefix of each
with the name of its super.
This maybe won't be applicable to the way everyone organizes so, maybe not to high a priority, but the tabbing would
definitely be helpful I would think.

An improvement over windows explorer for my use case would be if when I tab to the next file/folder, it only highlights
the segment I highlight for the previous file/folder. Then the method for applying my convention is Tab, ctrl V.

An amendment:
I actually don't want the files to inherit, I don't know if that was clear, because I was talking about tabbing, and then about inheritance.
* Tabbing suggestion applies to both files and folders.
* Inheritance applies to folders and sub-folders.
Death Nova

Re: Renaming Files and Folders

Thu 15. Jan 2015, 11:13

mee too finding such a app that can change names for folders
Save your time and get on time success in Pass4sure and 300-115 and other superb exam pass resources of ccnp route pdf - pass-4sure and network+ books
disilvapattahk

Return to Feature Requests & Suggestions