Exception on Unity export

Sat 6. Jan 2018, 03:18

Hi, I installed the latest service release (3.1.9.32487), but I can't seem to export to Unity anymore. It's throwing a null reference exception during the export.

null_reference_exception.png
null_reference_exception.png (49.62 KiB) Viewed 14785 times

Here is the exception callstack taken from the log:
Code: Select all
Exception
=========

NullReferenceException
  ----------------------

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     at Articy.CustomExports.JSON.JSONFormatHandler.ProcessAssetFile(AssetInfo aAssetInfo)
     at Articy.Editor.Export.Custom.CustomExporter.Start()
     at Articy.CustomExports.RuleSetExporter.Execute()
     at Articy.Editor.Commands.ExportProjectOrder.BackgroundWorkerOnDoWork(Object aSender, DoWorkEventArgs aDoWorkEventArgs)
     at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
     at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Source: CustomExports.ReportingPlugin

I tried all the other export options and they work, it seems to be a problem with only the Unity export. It was also working fine on the previous version. I would downgrade to work around this until the problem is resolved, but the download link for the previous version seems to be broken, so I'm currently blocked. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Thanks,
Brandon
bbare

Re: Exception on Unity export

Mon 8. Jan 2018, 03:47

This is happening to me too. What are the steps around this for now? Is there a rollback to previous version in Steam?
Raidenthequick

Mon 8. Jan 2018, 08:50

Hi Brandon,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue.

Could you maybe tell us what kind of assets were supposed to be exported? In addition, could you please send the ZIP-file CrashInfo-<Timestamp of crash>.zip to support@nevigo.com? You can find this file in the log folder.
We will also take care of the broken link for archived versions on our website.

Best regards,
Karsten
[Articy] Karsten Feyerabend
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Mon 8. Jan 2018, 12:47

Hi guys,

I was able to reproduce the exception under the following condition(s):

1. the filename entered has no path specified
  2. You select a folder using the browse dialog and that folder has a full path longer than 248 chars (in this case the dialog does not return a path and you end up in case 1.)

If you see something like this:
Filename.jpg
Bad output file/folder name
Filename.jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 14758 times

You will end up with that exception.

Since path length is (still) a system limitation we can not do much about it. The only thing is to check for that condition and show a better error text.

The best workaround I can give you is to place your projects near the root of your drive and not deep inside your user profile that already starts like

C:\Users\username\Documents\Unity Projects Version 2017.3.0f3\My Projects\My super duper project\Assets

or similar.

If this hint don't solve the issue for you I am interested in the folder name you are using like shown in the screenshot above.
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Mon 8. Jan 2018, 15:05

Update:

Another way to get into this condition is that the folder is not within the "Assets" subtree of the project.

It is still required that the export output (and loca output folder) is within the "Assets" subtree. Only the constraint that is must be placed directly inside the "Assets" folder was relaxed.

So for now leave it in the Assets folder any anything would work as expected.

We will build a service release soon, that make better checks for all these conditions and give more feedback what is wrong.
[Articy] Peter Sabath
Articy Staff
Articy Staff

Tue 9. Jan 2018, 04:38

I see. My problem was that I was exporting the project to a staging directory that wasn't under Assets. Once I set the output directory to Assets, the export worked again. Thank you for your help!
bbare

Return to articy:draft Unity Importer